FAQ 2161
Can I take my complaint or appeal directly to the Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA)?

No, you must ensure that all internal University processes have been undertaken first. The details and the timescales will be included in your Completion of Procedures Letter.

The complaints and appeals procedures can be found on the Important Information page, in the Complaints and Appeals sections.
If you require any additional support, SUBU Advice will also be able to advise on the process.