FAQ 486
Eligibility for a Council Tax Exemption Certificate

To be eligible for Council Tax exemption you must be studying at Bournemouth University on a full time course which meets the following criteria:

  • The course must last for at least a full academic year or calendar year
  • You are required to attend for at least 24 weeks in that year and you must study for at least 21 hours each week
  • You are also exempt during your placement year and if you remain on a full time programme but repeat units with or without attendance on a part time basis
  • You cannot be exempt from Council Tax in your final year of studies if you are repeating units on a part time basis.
Visit the student web pages for more information and for guidance on printing your own Council Tax Exemption certificate.

Bournemouth, Christchurch & Poole Council guidelines. Students living in Bournemouth should note they are not normally required to provide the certificate.

NB: Each Council has their own guidelines - check with your local Council if required.