FAQ 426
How do I find and register with a doctor?

It's important to look after your health when moving away from home for the first time. This includes registering with a new GP and finding your local sexual health service.

This NHS website Getting Medical Care as a Student provides essential guidance.

If, like most students, you spend more weeks of the year at your university address than your family's address, you need to register with a GP near BU as soon as possible.  That way you can receive emergency care if you need it, and access health services quickly and easily while you're away.

This is especially important if you have an ongoing health condition, particularly one that needs medicine, such as asthma, diabetes or epilepsy.

You can choose to register with any local GP (just enter your postcode). The BU Medical Centre attached to your university is likely to be the most convenient, and the doctors working there will be experienced in the health needs of students.  This service however is open during term-time only.

Getting ill during the holidays (for students registered with the Medical Centre)

Outside of term time, students registered with the BU Medical Centre can visit the NHS Talbot Medical Centre instead.

For life-threatening emergencies call 999. If you are on campus please call 01202 962222 instead of 999 as this will ensure help gets to you quickly. We will call 999 for you and our staff will know to direct the emergency services to your location.

For urgent medical advice call NHS 111.