FAQ 2825
Can I claim the NHS Learning Support Fund?

If you commenced study from September 2018 onwards, and are studying on one of the following courses, you can claim the NHS Learning Support Fund:

  • Midwifery
  • Nursing (all branches)
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Operating Department Practice
  • Physiotherapy

You must also be eligible for funding through Student Finance England, Student Finance Wales, Student Finance Northern Ireland or Student Awards Agency for Scotland to qualify for this fund.

You may be able to claim three elements:

1) Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses
To reimburse you for excess expenses incurred when undertaking placements. The fund is a grant and non repayable.

2) Child Dependants Allowance
A fixed grant of £1,000 per year for students with parental responsibility for at least one child

3) Exceptional Support Fund
A grant of up to £3,000 per year for students in financial hardship. You must have applied to the BU Financial Support Fund first before applying to this fund. Even if your BU Financial Support Fund application is declined, you can still apply to the Exceptional Support Fund.