These FAQs are here to help you find the information you need, when you need it, but you can always contact AskBU if you’d like to talk to someone in person, by phone or email, or if you have feedback about the FAQs.
Student Finance Funded students (not Bursary Funded students) on qualifying courses at the Faculty of Health and Social Sciences can claim the NHS Learning Support Fund.
Qualifying courses delivered at BU are:
- Nursing (all branches)
- Occupational Therapy
- Operating Department Practice
- Paramedic Science
The fund includes 4 elements:
- Training Grant of at least £5000 per academic year. You need to create an account on the Learning Support Fund Application System to apply.
- Travel and Dual Accommodation Expenses for expenses incurred whilst on Placement. You need to create an account on the Learning Support Fund Application System to fill out a claim. The claim must then be submitted to the FHSS Student Support Team:
- Child Dependants Allowance if you have child(ren) under 15, or under 17 if the child has special needs. The grant is a fixed sum of £2000 regardless of household income or of the number of children you have. You need to create an account on the Learning Support Fund Application System to fill out a claim and then submit it directly to the NHS together with proof of your mainstream Student Finance and original birth certificate(s).
- Exceptional Support Fund for students facing financial difficulty. Please note if you wish to apply for the Exceptional Support Fund, you must have applied and received a decision from the BU Financial Support Fund first. You can then submit your Exceptional Support Fund application to AskBU who will complete the Institution section of the form and submit it to the NHS on your behalf: email@example.com.