FAQ 2747
What can I claim from the NHS Learning Support Fund?

NHS Learning Support Fund - Information for students who commenced study from 1st September 2017

Only Student Finance Funded students (not Bursary Funded students) can claim the NHS Learning Support Fund. This system is due to be updated from September 2020 to expand the provision of support for both new and continuing students. Please check the NHS Learning Support Fund - New Student Funding pages for more information.

If you are a student on an NHS course which started 1st September 2017 or after, you may be eligible for additional financial support from the NHS Learning Support Fund.

Qualifying courses delivered at BU are:

  • Midwifery
  • Nursing (all branches)
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Operating Department Practice
  • Physiotherapy

The fund includes 3 elements:

  • Students who are parents can apply for Child Dependants Allowance if they have child(ren) under 15, or under 17 if the child has special needs. The grant is a fixed sum of £1000 regardless of household income or of the number of children you have. You need to create an account on the Learning Support Fund Application System to fill out a claim and then submit it directly to the NHS together with proof of your mainstream Student Finance and original birth certificate(s).
  • Students can apply to the Exceptional Support Fund if they're facing financial difficulty. Please note if you wish to apply for the Exceptional Support Fund, you must have applied and received a decision from the BU Financial Support Fund first. You can then submit your Exceptional Support Fund application to AskBU who will complete the Institution section of the form and submit it to the NHS on your behalf: askbu@bournemouth.ac.uk.