FAQ 2146
How can I complain about noise and anti-social behaviour by students in my street?

We take student behaviour very seriously and have a robust student charter, which all students have to sign up to when they enrol; specifically clause 18 reminds students that as a member of BU’s community, they must conduct themselves with regard to our good name and reputation and we have a Student Disciplinary procedure in place where further action is required. 

We recognise that anti-social behaviour not only damages BU’s reputation but also impacts upon the relationship between students and the local community and in such cases Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole Council (BCP) will deal with these issues and should you wish to make a complaint, you should contact Environmental Health at BCP. If there is the possibility of a Statutory Noise Nuisance, then Environmental Health can monitor and issue Noise Abatement Notices.  BPC Environmental Health can be contacted by phone on 01202 123789  or email environmentalhealth@bcpcouncil.gov.uk.

Should you be experiencing a disturbance late at night, the Environmental Health out of hours service can be contacted on 08000 281870. For urgent issues which may constitute a criminal offence, Dorset Police can be contacted on 101. Such matters will be brought to the University’s attention by Dorset Police and Environmental Health, should it be deemed appropriate. This is part of a continued team approach that BU and the Students’ Union are taking with the Police and the Council.