FAQ 2055
How is household income assessed if my parents are separated?

Your financial support eligibility is assessed on the basis of the household income of wherever you are officially living. This may not be clear cut, but a good guide is where child benefit is paid. Here are some examples:

  • If the parent is receiving child benefit, it is normally assumed that that is where the student officially lives, even if he or she also spends time with the other parent
  • A step-parent’s income is taken into account, but a brother's or a sister's isn’t
  • An absent parent's income is not taken into account when assessing household income.

For any other scenarios or further information please contact Student Finance England for more advice or your regional awarding body:

Student Finance Wales

Student Finance Northern Ireland

Student Awards Agency Scotland