FAQ 1730
I have been assaulted or attacked. Where should I go for help?

If you or someone that you know has been subjected to any kind of assault including rape or sexual assault, we would strongly recommend that this is reported to the police, but if the victim does not wish to do that, there are confidential services dedicated to supporting people who have been subject to this kind of abuse. Further information can be found on our website on the Sexual assault and harassment: prevention and support page.

The Shores, Dorset SARC (Sexual Assault Referral Centre) has a team of crisis support workers who will be able to help. Please check their website for contact details. The Shores also works in partnership with Dorset Rape Crisis Support Centre. Dorset Rape Crisis will be running drop-in sessions at Student Wellbeing in Talbot House, Talbot Campus on the first Monday of each month, from 11am-3pm, see the website for dates. Outside these times, drop in sessions are provided by our wellbeing team during term-time on Tuesdays (12.30pm - 1.30pm), Thursdays (3.30pm-4.30pm) and Fridays (3pm-4pm). 

Dignity and Respect (Harassment) Policy and Procedures – Harassment also covers situations including assault (sexual or otherwise) and states under Section 9 Cases of Assault:
“If you have been assaulted or attacked, seek help immediately. In particular you are strongly advised to report the attack to the Police. Your Executive Dean or Director of Professional Service, designated adviser or a representative of Human Resources or Students’ Union Advice Centre (students) as appropriate and will give you support and will help you contact appropriate external professional bodies who will help you decide what to do. For your own protection and for the protection of others it is important that any offender is dealt with. If you decide to go to the Police, you will be accompanied by a senior member of staff or representative of the University, for example a member of the Chaplaincy, unless you prefer to go alone”

Additionally SUBU Advice (Student Union Advice Service at BU) offers an independent and confidential service to students and would be able to help.

Contact details for additional support at BU are listed on the wellbeing and medical support web page.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact the AskBU student service.